Ann Arbor once had three nearby drive-in movie theaters, the University, Scio, and Ypsi-Ann.
Photo by Ben Thompson
University Drive-In marquee 1984
Photo by Frank Uhle
The University was torn down and there is now a big multi-screen indoor theater on the site at the corner of Ellsworth and Carpenter.
Sign from the Scio Drive-In
The Scio on Jackson Road sat abandoned for many years. All that is left now is the sign, which sits in a back yard on the Old West Side.
The Ypsi-Ann was on Washtenaw between Ypsilanti and Ann Arbor. It was the first drive-in in the county. It opened in 1948 and closed in 1978.
The Willow Drive-In on Michigan Ave east of Ypsilanti, across from the Orange Lantern, was torn down and replaced with a trailer park. The Wayne, on Michigan Ave in Wayne next to the Ford truck plant, was torn down in about 1990 for an addition to the plant. Drive-Ins in Adrian and Brighton both closed in the late 80s or early 90s.
Ford Wyoming Drive-In
The nearest drive-in now is the Ford Wyoming in Detroit, the biggest in the world with nine screens. It is open all year.
Odorama card from Polyester.